Denver, Colorado, is a popular gateway to some of the best ski resorts in the United States and a proud destination for Southern Airways Express. While Denver itself is not a ski destination, it serves as a major transportation hub to access the nearby Rocky Mountains and their world-renowned ski areas. Here are some of the well-known ski resorts near Denver:
- Aspen/Snowmass: While not directly near Denver, Aspen/Snowmass is a world-famous ski destination located about 200 miles southwest of Denver. It’s known for its four distinct ski areas: Aspen Mountain, Snowmass, Aspen Highlands, and Buttermilk. The area offers excellent skiing and snowboarding in addition to a vibrant apres-ski scene.
- Vail: Vail is one of the largest and most renowned ski resorts in Colorado, located about 100 miles west of Denver. It offers a wide range of terrain, from beginner slopes to challenging backcountry runs, along with a picturesque village filled with shops, restaurants, and nightlife.
- Breckenridge: Breckenridge, commonly referred to as “Breck,” is located approximately 80 miles west of Denver. It’s famous for its historic town, diverse terrain, and world-class terrain parks. Breckenridge Ski Resort is part of the larger Vail Resorts network.
- Keystone: Keystone Resort is situated about 75 miles west of Denver. It offers three distinct mountains: Dercum Mountain, North Peak, and The Outback. Keystone is known for its night skiing, extensive snowmaking capabilities, and family-friendly atmosphere.
- Copper Mountain: Located around 75 miles west of Denver, Copper Mountain is a favorite among locals and visitors alike. It features a variety of terrain, including bowls and challenging runs. The resort also has a charming village with shops and dining options.
- Loveland Ski Area: This ski area is one of the closest to Denver, just 53 miles west of the city. Loveland is known for its affordability and terrain that suits all skill levels, from beginners to advanced skiers and snowboarders.
- Winter Park: Winter Park Resort, approximately 67 miles northwest of Denver, offers a diverse range of terrain and is well-known for its terrain parks. The resort is easily accessible from Denver, making it a popular day trip option.
- Eldora Mountain Resort: Situated just 21 miles west of Boulder and about 47 miles from Denver, Eldora is one of the closest ski resorts to the Denver metro area. It’s a smaller resort, making it a great option for families and those looking for a convenient day trip.
These ski resorts provide a wide range of skiing and snowboarding experiences, making Denver a hub for winter sports enthusiasts.