Hawaii has provided the NFL with a myriad of memorable players. From the first Hawaiian-born player, Augie Cabrinha who played for the 1927 Dayton Triangles to modern-day Tua Tagovailoa, there is no shortage of skilled Hawaiian players. We have compiled a list of 9 professional NFL players whose roots are in the Aloha state.
1. Olin Kreutz, Center, Draft Year 1998, New Orleans Saints & Chicago Bears
Olin was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1977. He made 27th on the 100 Greatest Bears of All-Time list that was made in honor of their Centennial anniversary. He played 195 games, 187 of those which he started.
2. Rocky Freitas, Tackle, Draft Year 1967, Detriot Lions & Tampa Bay Buccanneers
Born in Kailua, Hawaii in 1945, Rocky was selected to the Pro Bowl after the 1972 season. He played a total of 134 games.
3. Chris Fuamatu-Ma’afala, Fullback, Draft Year 1998, Pittsburgh Steelers & Jacksonville Jaguars
Chris was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1997. He had a total of 964 Rushing Yards and 10 Touchdowns. Chris currently resides in Honolulu where he works with Army Youth Sports coaching and organizing sports events for children of military personnel.
4. Manti Malietau Louis Teʻo, Linebacker, Draft Year 2013, San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints & Chicago Bears
Manti was born in 1991 in Laie, Hawaii. He is one of the most decorated defensive players in college football history, including the Lombardi Award in 2012. As of today, he has a total tackle count of 307 including 1.5 sacks.
5. Glen Kozlowski, Wide Reciever, Draft Year 1986, Chicago Bears
Born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1962. Throughout his college years, he was known for making clutch, acrobatic catches. His promising goal of being an NFL player was almost derailed during his senior season at BYU due to a serious knee injury; however, he spent the entire 1986 season on injured reserve as he recovered from his knee surgery. He is currently a weekend sports anchor on WGN-AM radio’s Sports Central.
6. Ikaika Alama-Francis, Defensive End, Draft Year 2007, Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers
Originally from Kaneohe, Hawaii, Ikaika was born in 1984. He played college football at the University of Hawaii until he was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 2007. He carries a total of 47 tackles and 1 sack.
7. Guy Whimper, Offensive Tackle, Drafted 2006, New York Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers
Born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1983, Whimper stands at 6’5″ and weighs 315 pounds. He holds a Super Bowl ring from the 2008 Super Bowl XLII against the New England Patriots. Guy has played a total of 78 games and started 24 of those.
8. Jordon Dizon, Linebacker, Drafted 2008, Detroit Lions
Jordon was born in Kauai, Hawaii in 1986. He played for the Detroit Lions from 2008-2010 until he tore two tendons in his knee and damaged a third during the 2010 NFL preseason. He was placed on injured reserve on August 16, 2010, and released by the Detroit Lions on July 28, 2011. He had a total of 53 tackles and 1 sack.
9. Chris Kemoeatu, Offensive Guard, Drafted 2005, Pittsburgh Steelers
A native of Kahuku, Hawaii, Jordon stands at a whopping 6’3″, 344 pounds. He played college football at the University of Utah where he was named All-American. He holds two Super Bowl rings from Super Bowl XL and XLIII and has started 53 of the 75 games he has played.